Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Oh Halloween.....

I have to admit, even before having a child I really was not that into Halloween. I know I loved getting candy, so I had to dress up. But I never really got that into the scary aspect of it.
I now really enjoy Carson getting to dress up and enjoy the fun of trick-or treating, but I hate what Halloween has become. Maybe it has always been this way and I was just ignoring it all this time.
What I am talking about is the super scary grim reapers hanging all over the ceiling at various stores, scary masks everywhere, bloody/gory costumes, and scary home decorations all over the streets. Carson is afraid of all of them. He gets really nervous, asks a ton of questions and just won't let go of me when we go past any of these things. (Don't even get me started on all the women's costumes that are basically lingerie).
I really want him to enjoy the fun childlike Halloween that I remember. I hope my explanations of the pretend stuff are sufficient enough to calm his nerves.
As I think about this for Carson I'm actually thankful our son in Africa doesn't have to endure this right now. Can you imagine being new to a place, with a new family, and very little language skills and seeing a ginormous scary creature hanging above your head? That would be terrifying! If he were home we probably wouldn't be venturing out anyway, but still i think it's scary for any little kid.
Sorry if your the type who likes the haunted house and scary men, I'm not judging you. I'm just saying we will have none of that at our house this year (or probably ever!)

No comments:

Post a Comment